Since our New England “spring” has been dominated by wet, rainy, and otherwise chilly weather, this warming soup seemed like a good match.
The original recipe comes from Ashley Fehr on her cooking website, Recipe Rebel, and it makes 6 good sized servings. We actually found there were closer to 8 servings so I was able to stow a couple of larger containers in our freezer for another time.
Here’s where to find the original recipe and the instructions for the soup – ready in 40 minutes, it’s a winner for busy weeknights.
Recipe Rebel’s Sausage Tortellini Soup
Ingredients (to have on hand)
- 1 lb Italian sausage (remove from casings; mild or spicy according to taste)
- 3 large carrots
- 1 onion
- 1 rib celery
- 1-1/2 tsp Italian seasoning (I made this up from my pantry)
- 1 tsp garlic
- 3 c low sodium chicken broth
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- small (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- about 3 cups fresh cheese tortellini (I used the dry from my pantry – just cook until al dente)