It’s cold and damp and definitely a good night for soup! This recipe comes from Whole Foods Market. No kale, no problem – I used spinach in place of the kale this time around.
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup red lentils
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 2 TBSP)
- 1 1/2 cup shredded kale (I used baby spinach)
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- Heat a sauce pot over medium heat until hot. Add cumin and toast 1 minute or until aromatic. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown and stick to the pot, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes with their juice and cook 2 minutes longer, stirring frequently. Add lentils, broth, 2 cups water, coconut milk and lemon juice; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 30 to 35 minutes or until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in kale and salt.