Adapted from Glowing Fridge Green Goddess Glow Bowl.
I recently discovered a great resource for vegan and plant-based eating, The Glowing Fridge. Shannon, the author of this site, has lots of great ideas – including recipes – for anyone making the change to a plant-based diet. One of the series of recipes Shannon has developed, the Glow Bowls, are variations on bowls of grains and veggies that can lead to endless variations. After trying the Green Goddess Glow Bowl, I know I’m inspired to include more plant-based cooking in the coming year.
Since I usually have the Kripalu House Dressing (or variation thereof) on hand in my fridge, next time around I’ll probably use that in place of the dressing recipe* cited. This is just my personal preference for a bit of cayenne and chile powder.
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth (or 1 TBSP coconut oil – which is what I used)
- 1/3 of an onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup edamame, frozen (take out of the pod if you bought edamame pods)
- 1 zucchini, chopped (true confession: I walked out of the food store without the zucchini so I used more kale here)
- 2 cups kale, de-stemmed
- salt and pepper to taste
For the dressing*:
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1 TBSP maple syrup or agave nectar
- sea salt, to taste
- In a medium sized pot, add quinoa and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cover for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- In a separate pan, heat the vegetable broth (here I used coconut oil instead) and saute the onions and garlic for 2 minutes. Add the frozen edamame and zucchini. Cook for about 5 minutes. Add the kale last and cook about 1 minute or until softened (this took longer for me – and I needed to cover the pan). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Turn off heat.
- Prepare the dressing in a small bowl by adding all of the ingredients and whisking until smooth. I found I needed to add a small amount of water to loosen the tahini.
- Scoop the quinoa into a bowl, top with the vegetable mixture and drizzle on the dressing.