Maybe it is because my Dad worked in a business related to livestock and agriculture, but I think I’ve always been aware of what a great resource County- and State-sponsored cooperative extension services can be.
This recipe comes from the University of Maine’s Food and Health, and is a real treasure trove of nutritious food resources that fit just about anyone’s budget. This low-fat muffin recipe is no exception. With a hint of lemon flavor (their suggestion is to use lemon yogurt if you want to intensify that flavor), these muffins are light and airy. The website gives nutrition details.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 TBSP honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 TBSP grated lemon peel
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, honey eggs, yogurt, and lemon zest.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet mixture. Stir just until combined. Do not overmix.
- Divide the batter between 12 greased muffin pan cups.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden, and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.