I wrote a reminder to myself in the margin of my trusty Moosewood Cookbook to make only half of this recipe. Am I ever sorry I did that! This was delicious and warming, and honestly, I’m sorry we don’t have more leftovers for lunch.
Bulgarian Pepper and Cheese Delight
Recipe edited, compiled and illustrated by Mollie Katzen in Moosewood Cookbook (1977 edition).
Ingredients – Group I:
- 4 c minced green peppers
- 1 1/2 c sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 c chopped onions
- 2-3 TBSP butter (I used coconut oil)
Ingredients – Group II:
- 1 1/2 TBSP Tamari
- 1 1/2 TBSP sherry
- 1 tsp majoram
- 1/2 – 1 tsp salt (to taste)
- black pepper to taste
Ingredients – Group III
- 1 1/2 c raw bulgar soaked in 1 1/2 c boiling water (soak the bulgar for at least 15 minutes. It will still be crunchy, but this will allow it to absorb liquid from the other ingredients)
- 1 1/2 c cottage cheese
- 3/4 c feta cheese
- 4 beaten, slightly salted eggs
- Sauté onions in butter (or in my case, coconut oil) until translucent. Add peppers and mushrooms. Combine to cook until peppers are just becoming tender. Remove from heat.
- Add all of Group II to sautéed vegetables and mix well.
- Crumble the feta cheese and combine with the cottage cheese.
- Oil a 2-quart casserole or 9 x 13 baking pan. Spread in the bulgar, and cover it with a layer of vegetables.
- Add the mixed cheeses, and spread them around as evenly as possible.
- Pour the beaten eggs over everything and dust with paprika.
- Bake in a 350 degree over for 40-45 minutes uncovered. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.