If you’ve not been perusing the website, SkinnyTaste, you’ve been missing out on some incredibly delicious recipes. This one popped up when I was looking for a good, solid vegetarian black bean chili, and with the addition of a spicy yogurt topping, it did not disappoint. This recipe comes together in short order, a feature one can’t under-value during these busy weeks!
The recipe posting has many tips for variations and, as we are just a household of empty-nesters, the ability to scale up or down was a feature.
Ingredients (This is the website version which serves 6)
- 1 1/4 tablespoon cumin
- 1 1/4 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk plain yogurt (I used 0% Greek yogurt here)
- 2 15 oz cans black beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 diced jalapeno, plus more for garnish (fresh, not canned)
- 10 oz can rotel tomatoes with green chilies
- 8 ounces frozen corn
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup less-sodium vegetable broth
- Optional Toppings: shredded cheddar, diced red onions, cilantro, diced avocado (all of the above – delicious!)
- Mix the spices in a small bowl. Set aside 1 1/2 teaspoons and mix into the yogurt. Set aside.
- Place 1 can of beans, not drained in the blender with 1/2 cup of water and puree. Drain the second can.
- Add oil to a large pot over medium heat, add the onions, bell pepper and jalapeno and cook 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, corn, beans, pureed beans, tomato sauce, vegetable broth and remaining spices.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer about 15 minutes, stirring until thickened.
- Serve topped with spiced yogurt plus your favorite optional toppings.
For Noomers: Serving: 1 generous cup:
Calories: 264kcal, Carbohydrates: 44.5g, Protein: 14.5g, Fat: 4.5g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 44.5mg, Sodium: 889.5mg, Fiber: 14g, Sugar: 9g