Same Cook, Different Book: Mollie Katzen’s Mushroom Yogurt Pie with Spinach Crust
Cookbook author, illustrator, cook. Mollie Katzen has been and continues to be a multi-talented culinary force. Whenever I’m looking to try something plant-based and new, her many cookbooks are invaluable. I was recently reminded of this wonderful yogurt and mushroom-based pie found in The Enchanted Broccoli Forest originally released in 1995 and revised in 2000.
As I had no wheat germ on hand, I substituted 1/4 cup of ground flax seeds for the 3/4 cup wheat germ. I feel that as flax can sometimes have a strong taste, that worked for me. I also used 0% Greek yogurt as that’s what I had on hand.
No matter whether you stay true to the original or tweak things a bit to accommodate what’s in your kitchen stores, this pie is a keeper.
Mollie Katzen’s Mushroom Yogurt Pie with Spinach Crust
Katzen, M. The Enchanted Broccoli Forest. (2000). Berkeley, CA: Ten Speed Press.
For the Spinach Crust
- 3/4 pound (12 oz) spinach, chopped very fine
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup unbleached white flour
- 3/4 cup wheat germ (I substituted 1/4 cup ground flax seeds)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash of nutmeg
For the Mushroom Yogurt Pie Filling
- 1 Spinach crust (above)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons flour (white or whole wheat)
- 1 egg (at room temperature)
- 1 cup firm yogurt (at room temperature) (I used Greek-style, 0% Fat)
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar
- 1/4 cup freshly minced parsley
- Lots of fresh black pepper
- Extra cheddar (for the top)
- Paprika (for the top)
For the Spinach Crust
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Melt the butter in a cast-iron skillet (I used a regular skillet that can stand high heat), add the spinach, and cook it quickly over fairly high heat, stirring, until it is just limp.
- Remove from heat, add remaining ingredients, and mix well.
- Pat into a buttered 9-inch pie pan. Use a fork first, then your fingers, to mold the crust. Pre-bake for 15 minutes at 375° F.
For the Mushroom Yogurt Filling and Finishing
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- In a large, heavy skillet, cook the onions in butter with salt, until the onions are soft (5 to 8 minutes).
- Add the mushrooms and the lemon juice. Cook, stirring, over medium heat, about 5 to 8 more minutes.
- Gradually, as you stir, sprinkle in the flour. Keep cooking and stirring over medium-low heat another 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Beat together the egg, yogurt, pepper, cheddar, and parsley. Stir the mushroom saute into this mixture, then beat it well.
- Turn the filling into the pre-baked crust (you don’t need to cool the crust first). Top with extra cheese and paprika.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350° F.