It’s July and we’re in the middle of zucchini season! This recipe from The Kitchn possibly will give purists a moment of pause, but for me, I was a great way to take advantage of summer vegetable overloads while the kitchen was not overheating from roastings or stove-top cooking.
Easy Slow-Cooker Ratatouille
By Christine Gallary, The Kitchn
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 1 pound eggplant
- 1 pound zucchini or summer squash
- 2 large red, green, or yellow bell peppers (about 1 pound)
- 1 pound tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onions, season with salt, and cook, stirring occasionally and adjusting the heat as needed, until completely softened and light golden-brown, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the vegetables.
- Trim the eggplant and zucchini, cut into 1-inch cubes, and place in the insert of a 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Trim, core, and cut the bell peppers into 1-inch dice and add to the slow cooker. Core the tomatoes, cut into 1 1/2-inch dice, and add to the slow cooker. Finely chop the garlic and add to the slow cooker.
- When the onions are ready, add the tomato paste to the pan and stir to coat the onions. Transfer the onion mixture to the slow cooker. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir to coat all the vegetables.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook until the vegetables are extremely tender, 4 hours on high or 5 to 6 hours on low. If you’d like to cook off some of the excess liquid in the slow cooker, cook uncovered for the last 30 minutes.
- Stir in the basil and taste for seasoning, adding more salt as needed. Drizzle with more olive oil before serving if desired.
For Noomers: This recipe serves 8-10. Calories 98, Fat 5.9 g, Carbs 11.4 g, Fiber 3.3 g, Sugar 5.1 g, Protein 2.2 g, Sodium 31.3 mg