Recently, I’ve discovered a treasure trove of vegan recipes created by Vaishali on Holy Cow Vegan’s website. In trying to eat more plant based foods, this website has some wonderfully creative recipe takes on old and new favorites. This week’s shared recipe came together quickly – a good thing for weeknights – and with the addition of a few capers just before serving, was an healthy, elegant meal. With a nod toward food shopping in a pandemic, I substituted Oricchiette pasta which was opened in my pantry for the spaghetti in Vaishali’s original recipe.
Vegan Garlic Pasta with Broccoli Rabe
- 1 16-oz package of spaghetti or any other pasta (I used oricchiette)
- 1 large bunch of broccoli rabe
- 6 large cloves garlic, smashed and sliced thinly
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (or a bit more if you like things on the hotter side)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped (optional)
- ALSO OPTION SUGGESTIONS FROM VAISHALI: dash of lemon juice and/or a handful of capers
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add broccoli rabe and cook for two minutes. Remove (don’t drain! use a slotted spoon) the broccoli rabe to a chopping board, chop (I made 1 1/2 inch cuts) and set aside. Cook the pasta in the same water according to package directions.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the garlic and saute until it starts to turn light gold.
- Add the red pepper flakes, the broccoli rabe, and salt & pepper (to taste). Stir-fry for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the pasta with a cup of the pasta cooking water. Add the (optional, but I’d suggest not skipping) parsley, stir well to mix, check seasoning and turn off heat. (Here’s where to add lemon or capers if using).
- Serve warm or at a room temperature.
Calories 277, Carbs 49.3 g, Protein 14.3 g, Fat 3.6 g, sugar 2.4 g