While we are all sheltering in place I can imagine that people are indulging in some comfort foods. This is a recipe that helped me not only use the blueberries I bought, but use up the yogurt we had in the fridge as well. Also, it satisfied a craving I had for something sweet. As expected, it was delicious! Ellie Krieger, who hosts Healthy Appetite on the Food Network and Good Food on PBS, always finds a way to make things more healthy – and a little more guilt-free. Follow Ellie Kreiger on her website here.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 c all purpose flour
- 1 c whole wheat pastry or regular whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 TBSP granuated sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 c chopped walnuts
- 1/2 c packed brown sugar
- 2 TBSP butter (room temperature)
- 2 TBSP canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 c plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 c fresh blueberries (or used frozen & thaw first)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray and 8-inch square cake pan with cooking spray (I used two mini loaf pans in place of 1 larger pan).
- Whisk together the AP flour and whole-wheat flour, the baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl, stir together granulated sugar, cinnamon and walnuts. In a large bowl (mixer), beat the brown sugar, butter and oil until fluffy. (this needs to be smooth and lump-free). Beat in the eggs 1 at a time, beating until fully combined. Beat in the vanilla and the yogurt.
- Add flour mixture in 2 batches, stirring until just combined.
- Spread half of the batter into the prepared pans (or if using 2 mini pans, spread 1/4 of the batter in each of the mini pans). Sprinkle half (quarter in each for mini pans) the nut mixture over the batter and top with blueberries, gently pressing them into the batter. Spoon the rest of the batter into the pan(s), smoothing the top. Sprinkle the remaining nut mixture over the top(s), pressing gently. Bake until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 30 to 35 minutes (my oven needed closer to 40). Let cool slightly and the unmold and allow to cool completely on a cooling rack.