Whenever I can use up the remaining bits of something I’ve only partially utilized during the week, it’s a win. This week, I had most of a container of plain, nonfat Greek yogurt leftover from a spicy bean dish, and rather than just eat it or (horrors!) wait until it was no longer edible, I went on a search for a way to incorporate Greek yogurt into another recipe. The fact that this recipe not only used up the yogurt but was a dessert AND used dark chocolate was something like winning a lottery. Here is a recipe for Healthy Dark Chocolate Oatmeal Bars from A Mindful Mom’s blog. Be sure to check out blogger, Kristen for other great healthy choices.
Healthy Dark Chocolate Oatmeal Bars
- 1-1/2 cups oats (I used old-fashioned, not quick)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt (I used 0% fat)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate, chopped (I used dark chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper or foil.
- In large mixing bowl, mix all dry ingredients together.
- Add oil, yogurt, egg, honey and vanilla. Mix until just combined.
- Stir in dark chocolate chips
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes. Allow to rest for 10-15 minutes before eating (good luck with that).