Seriously, Thug Kitchen, this cake is the bomb. As the Thugs say, “… save frosting for something that needs the help.” This does not. And it didn’t need butter or eggs either. Little bit of fresh fruit on top and we will be good to go for tonight’s dessert. If this makes it until then. I have a feeling there will be some taste testing going on really soon. [Edited for the delicate or children.]
From: Thug Kitchen LLC. Thug kitchen: Eat like you give a f*ck. (2014). Emmaus, PA: Rodale. p.200.
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour or white flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups canned coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
- First, heat your oven to 375 degrees F. Grab an 8-inch cake pan, grease it, and dust it with flour to make sure your cake doesn’t stick. If you are still consumed with fear, cut a round out of parchment paper the same size as the pan and stick that in the bottom to be extra ——- sure your cake will come out in one piece. Now relax, you got this —-.
- Get a big bowl and whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a crater in the center of the dry mixture and pour in the coconut milk, vanilla, and lemon zest and stir it all up until there are no dry pockets and very few lumps.
- Pour that batter into your cake pan that you prepped earlier because you followed the g-d directions. Let somebody else lick the spoon and bowl because 1)The batter is tasty as —- and 2)They will now owe you one. Cash in that favor the next time you need help moving. You’re ——-welcome.
- Bake the cake until a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes. Let it cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then turn it out on to a wire rack to finish cooling until you’re ready for it.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.