What happens when you can’t locate instant polenta in the market? You improvise! I most definitely would try this one again after I locate the polenta; for this version, I used the rolls of pre-made polenta as the base and piled the mushrooms on top.
Adapted from Whole Foods Market
- 1 pound mixed mushrooms (halved if small and sliced if large)
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 oz (about 2/3 cup) dried porcini mushrooms, ground in a spice grinder or food processor to a fine powder (not used because of the pre-made polenta)
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons instant polenta
- 4 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, divided
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Combine mushrooms and shallots in a large skillet and place over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms and shallots have released their liquid and browned, about 12 minutes; add wine 1 TBSP at a time if necessary to keep mushrooms from sticking. When mushrooms are very tender and browned, add thyme, soy sauce, pepper and any remaining wine. Cook, stirring until liquid has evaporated.
[Because I used the roll of pre-made polenta, I skipped this step. Sliced the pre-made roll and cover the bottom of a baking dish, pile the mushroom mixture on top]. Combine 3 cups water and salt in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir in porcini powder. Add polenta in a thin, steady stream stirring constantly. Cook, stirring constantly until polenta is thickened and bubbles, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in mushroom mixture, 3 TBSP of the parsley and 3 TBSP of chives. Pour this mixture into a 9-inch pie plate and smooth the top. Bake until just browned on top, about 30 minutes.
Cool for 20-30 minutes. Run a table knife around the edge of the pan. Sprinkle pie with remaining 1 TBSP parsley and 1 TBSP chives. Cut into wedges.
To make the pie ahead, pour the polenta mixture into the pie place and cool, then cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Add about 15 minutes to the baking time.