By Sarah Copeland (March 2011). Downloaded from Real Simple on the WWW, 8/15/2015.
Chickpeas with Chard and Pan Roasted Tomatoes
In our effort to be more plant-based and vegan with our eating, I’ve been doing a lot of web-searching. Fortunately, plant-based eating is a hot topic (see Forks over Knives) and there are many creative cooks offering recipes. This one comes from the magazine, Real Simple and was a perfect fit for a busy night – total time from prep to table: 50 minutes.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 4 small plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 small bunch of Swiss chard, thick stems & ribs removed & leaves torn (about 8 cups)
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Salt & pepper
- 1 15-oz. can of chickpeas, rinsed
- 2 TBSP fresh lemon juice
- Cook the rice according to the package directions.
- Twenty minutes before the rice is done, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add tomatoes, cut-side down, and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until browned and starting to soften, 3 to 5 minutes; turn and cook for 1 minute more. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the chard, raisins, garlic, 2 TBSP water, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper to the skillet. Cook, tossing, until the chard wilts, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Return the tomatoes to the skillet, add the chickpeas and lemon juice, and toss until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve over the rice.
One Comment Add yours
Plant based eating is awesome! Your food looks great!