The middle of winter is not necessarily when you expect to find tomatoes, is it? These, though not vine ripened, did actually grow on a farm in Massachusetts. They are Ugly, an apt name for this variety, and they were delicious!
Basic Caprese Salad
- Ripe tomatoes, washed and sliced at about 1/4 inch
- Fresh mozarella cheese, sliced
- Fresh basil leaves
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and pepper
- Wash and slice the tomatoes and arrange on a serving dish
- Slice the cheese into rounds, put one round (or 1/2 a round, if the fresh mozarella is quite large) on each tomato slice
- Top with a freshly washed and dried basil leaf
- Drizzle with olive oil
- Sprinkle with coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Serve at room temperature or cold. Enjoy!