Adapted from Pomeroy, N. “Quinoa with sweet pea & sour cream dressing.” Wall Street Journal Online: Slow Food Fast. (April 23, 2011). Downloaded from the web on 08 July 2011.
My Comments: I love the texture and taste of quinoa and this slightly warmed dish seemed perfect for summer! Our CSA shares have included some wonderfully fresh sugar snap peas and even some mint — trying this recipe seemed to be a good fit. Not a big fan of sour cream, so I substituted (of course) with non-fat Greek yogurt.
1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
1/2 teaspoon and pinch salt
2/3 cup water
1/4 cup and 1 tablespoon olive oil
1/3 cup yellow onion, diced
3/4 cup snap or snow peas, halved crosswise on the bias
3/4 cup shelled peas, fresh or frozen
2 tablespoons sour cream (I substituted Non-fat Greek yogurt)
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/3 cup fresh mint, torn
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
1. Place quinoa in a small saucepan with a pinch of salt. Cover with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, until tender, about 18 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff grains. Leave lid ajar, and let cool.
2. While quinoa cooks, set a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Swirl in 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in snap peas and shelled peas. Sauté for 2 minutes, or until peas turn bright green. Remove from heat.
4. Mix sour cream, mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, sugar and ½ teaspoon salt together. Whisk in ¼ cup olive oil.
5. Stir quinoa into the pea mixture and set pan back over medium heat. Cook until just warmed through and add dressing. Remove from heat.
6. Stir in mint and parsley. Adjust seasoning with lemon juice and salt, if needed.
Adjust seasoning with lemon juice and salt, if needed.