Adapted from d’Andrea, Aurealia. 28 day eat green challenge: Veg boot camp. Vegetarian Times, Issue 385, Vol. 37, No. 5. (June 2011). p 77.
My Comment: Sometimes I’m not sure of what I’m doing in meal planning — so when I hear of an already mapped out meal plan, my ears really perk up. Vegetarian Times has started just such a program and, should you be interested in finding out more you can find information on the vegetariantimes.com website.
This recipe was published in the June 2011 launch of the 28-day challenge. It caught my eye because the protein is coming from cashews – yummy! This made plenty of stir-fry; I served rice with Adrien’s portion — but ate mine au naturel.
1 TBSP low sodium soy sauce
1 TBSP toasted sesame oil
2 tsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp chile-garlic sauce (go ahead and add what you like – I used a tablespoon)
1 TBSP vegetable oil (I used canola)
1 medium red onion, halved, cut into wedges and pulled apart (about 1-1/2 cup)
1 small yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced (about 1-1/2 cups)
1 cup raw unsalted cashews
1 TBSP grated fresh ginger
8 oz. sugar snap peas
8 oz. snow pea pods
8 green onions cut into 1 inch pieces
1. Whisk together soy sauce, sesame oil, cornstarch, chile-garlic sauce and 1/2 cup water in small bowl and set aside.
2. Heat vegetable oil in wok over high heat (remember to heat wok first, then add the oil). Add onion, bell pepper, cashews and ginger, and stir fry for 2-3 minutes or until onion and cashews begin to brown.
3. Add snap peas and stir fry another minute.
4. Add snow peas and green onions and stir fry 2 to 3 minutes more.
5. Add soy sauce mixture and cook 1 to 2 minutes more or until sauce has thickened and vegetables are coated with sauce.
Serves 4. Nutrition: 324 calories, 10 G protein, 20 G fat, 30 G. carb, 6 G fiber.