Adapted from Katzen, Mollie. Moosewood cookbook. (1977). Berkeley, CA: Ten-speed Press. p 168.
My Comment: Adrien and I disagree on mushrooms — I *LOVE* them; he puts up with them. This was a truly tasty dish (mine without the pasta) – how have I missed it in all the years that I’ve had the Moosewood Cookbook? I don’t cook with butter, so I’ve updated this recipe to use all olive oil.
4 cups cubed eggplant
1 lb. chopped mushrooms
3 cloves crushed garlic
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped green pepper
2 TBSP olive oil and 2 TBSP butter
1 cup Marsala
1 bay leaf
1 tsp basil
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup tomato past
1 cup freshly grated parmesan
fresh black pepper
1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1. Heat the oils in a large heavy skillet. Add the onions, garlic, 1/2 tsp salt, and bay leaf and saute 5 minutes.
2. Add the eggplant and another 1/2 tsp salt, stir and cook covered 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add mushrooms, remaining slat, spices (except parsley), peppers, tomatoes, and paste. Mix well and simmer covered, 10 minutes. Add Marsala and parsley. Cover and simmer over low heat, about 15-20 minutes.
4. Just before serving, mix in the parmesan cheese.
5. Serve over pasta and pass around some extra parmesan.
Serves 4-6 generously.
Weight Watch Points to be determined.