Adapted from Lusted, Jo. Cleaning Eating Magazine: My favorite onion-based dishes. (April/May 2011). Volume 4, Issue 4. Mississauga, ON, Canada: Cleaning Eating Magazine. p 69.
My Comment: This recipe originally calls for 4 oz. boneless skinless chicken breast – which I did not use. As much as we love traditional pizza, this appealed to me because it lacked the red sauce. The lemon infused shallots were quite a treat!
Olive oil cooking spray
1 16-oz. whole wheat pizza dough ball
1 small fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
2 TBSP cornmeal (for dusting the pan)
3 TBSP whole wheat flour (for dusting the board)
2 tsp olive oil
6 medium shallots, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
1 TBSP fresh lemon juice
1 1/4 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup chopped pitted Kalamata olives
2 TBSP fresh chervil
1 TBSP fresh dill
1. Lightly mist a large bowl with spray. Place dough in the bowl and let rest, covered in a dampened towel for about 20 minutes.
2. Position oven rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 425 F. Arrange fennel on parchment lined baking tray. Mist with spray and season with salt and pepper. Roast fennel for 15 min. or until golden brown. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
3. Mist a 17×11 baking sheet and sprinkle with cornmeal. Set aside.
4. Roll dough out until it is about an inch larger than the pan. Brush top of dough with oil. In small bowl, toss shallots with lemon juice.
5. Evenly layer half of the mozzarella onto the dough. Then layer on the fennel, shallots, and olives and finally top with the remaining mozzarella. Season with salt and pepper and bake in oven for about 25 minutes or until golden. Top with chervil and dill.
Yield: 16 slices. Nutrition Information (per 2 slices): Calories 324; Fat 10g; Carbs 42g; Fiber 6.5g, Protein 18g.