I did a double-take when I spotted this recipe for Yellow Squash (!) Bundt Cake. Yellow squash, seriously?
But with an enormous haul of yellow squash in our CSA share the last 2 weeks, it felt as if this recipe from Southern Living was meant to be baked. So I did.
Ingredients for Cake
- 2 cups All Purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup canola oil (I used coconut oil)
- 2 cups grated yellow square
- 1 TBS lemon zest plus 2 TBSP lemon juice
Ingredients for Lemon Buttermilk Glaze
- 2 cups unsifted powdered sugar
- 2 TBSP buttermilk
- 1 tsp lemon zest plus 1 TBSP fresh lemon juice
- Prepare the cake: preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 10-cup Bundt pan with baking spray (or just oil it). Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Place eggs, sugar and oil in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat on medium-high speed until light and airy (about 3 minutes), stopping to scrape down sides as needed. Stir in the squash, lemon zest and juice. Gradually add flour mixture, beating on low speed until just combined (about 45 seconds). Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven until a wood pick inserted in the center comes out clean (50-55 minutes). Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Invert onto wire rack and cool for 1 hour.
- Prepare the glaze. Whisk together all ingredients into a bowl until smooth. Drizzle over cooled cake.