I happened on Martha Stewart’s PBS cooking show recently, and was impressed that the recipe she prepared was not so ridiculously complicated that it required a team of sous chefs to get it to table. So as I was searching for something to cook this week, I migrated over to her website and found this Quinoa Bowl. Delicious and not difficult for home cooking! Thanks to Wendy at Tutto Bene for the Barista Pinotage recommendation.
- 1 pound of broccoli, florets with tender stems (halved if large)
- 1 red onion (8 oz) cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup tahini, well stirred
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (2 lemons)
- 2 cups packed mint leaves, plus more for serving/garnish
- sliced avocado, sliced cucumber, and lightly toasted sliced almonds for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Toss broccoli and onion with oil on a rimmed baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Roast, flipping vegetables once, until golden brown and tender (about 25 minutes).
- In a small pot, bring quinoa, 1 1/2 cups water, and a pinch of salt to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 14 minutes. Turn of heat and let stand 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Combine tahini, lemon juice, 1/2 cup water, and mint in a blender. Blend until smooth; add 3/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
- Serve quinoa topped with roasted vegetables, avocado, and cucumber and sprinkle with almonds and mint with dressing on the side. (Serves 4)